Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Lake Tahoe





Day 1~ Travel
Eastern Sierras
Some River We Found
Arrival :
South Lake Tahoe at First Glance

Day 2 ~ How Big Is The Lake? 

Our first full day at the lake. We slept in and we decided to go to the beach. The first place we looked up was Taylor Creek. We thought we went there but I think we ended up somewhere else cause a couple days later we were by the actual creek. Anyways, Day 2 consisted of checking out the beach and "going in". This was ICE cold water. Yes, it was hot but it was windy too so it was still cold. The views were amazing though and this part of the lake wasn't deep so you could go in far and the water wasn't even to your knees. (A taller, average person's knees)
We ended our day circling the lake. It took approximately two hours to see all of it. 

Day 3~ Hiking 
Now I'm used to waking up at 5am to start hiking at 6... That was the plan but then we remembered all the bear warnings. So in my mind it made sense to go later to avoid meeting a bear. Well, upon mentioning this to a ranger later on she looks at me and says "And? Bears are 24/7". So now you know too. Bears are out 24/7 so don't stop yourself from going out cause at all hours you have a chance of encountering one... yay!
Glen Alpine Springs
I absolutely loveee waterfalls! We hadn't even started hiking when we saw these falls. I thought this would be the only ones we'd find but we found some more along the way! The trail was beautiful, the views, the trees, everything! Creation is so amazing, so beautiful, so ahhh!
                                    



Struggling To Survive
We went to meet the fam afterwards and we took a little kayaking trip. This was fun! My parents had never been kayaking and my mom kept freaking out that we would flip over. My sister didn't like it at all for the exact same reason. 

Day 4 ~ Island Time
Fun Fact: Lake Tahoe has one island called Fannette Island. The plan was to kayak to it but we were too late. There was a long waiting list and we didn't make the cut. Instead we enjoyed the view. I learned that wet trees are slippery. No, don't try to walk on them. Don't. We also followed a short trail to view Eagle Falls. 

Fannette Island


Eagle Falls

 wet tree vs dry tree

Day 5 ~ Sand Harbor, Nevada
Whenever I looked up Lake Tahoe online Sand Harbor always came up as a destination to visit. We arrived there after driving an hour, only to find it temporarily closed due to it being full: It would open again a couple hours later. So we did the next best thing and went to a beach up ahead. 
I think this was my favorite day at the lake. The view was gorgeous. Clear blue skies, calm cold water and the occasional duck passing by. 

Day 6 ~ Horsetail Falls
Another hiking day. Our last hike before leaving Lake Tahoe. It was supposed to be a quick one mile hike up to the falls and bam! be done with it- Easy-piecey! I told my parents we would be done rather quickly.. Well little did we know that it was a lot of going up and a very sketchy trail. I don't know if it was a mile or more than a mile but it felt long. I remember we had to go down this really sketchy rock as part of the trail and I'm proud to say I did it by myself! The view was definitely worth it. Majestic Falls <3

I Thought These Were The Falls

 

After hiking we spent our last moments in Lake Tahoe at the beach on the Nevada side. And later that night we drove to Carson City for dinner. 



'Twas a good day. 'Twas a good vacation. 
 ~The End ~

No comments:

Post a Comment